Employment and FASD

 So about 8 months ago I got a job at Giant Tiger, it has been very stressful as this is my first actual job besides babysitting. Everybody is a little different, including me, and I have been getting used to the rules, and the people there. Sometimes I get thrown off by the way people talk to me, and it leaves me hanging and upset. Sometimes I take things too seriously, but lately, I have been doing a lot better not getting mad and storming off. Half of the reason why I think I am somewhat doing better is I am too mentally, physically and emotionally tired to give a damn about things and people, but that is another story for my blog. 

A job may tend to be harder and more stressful for those of us with FASD, a lot more then for other people or it may be super easy, FASD affects people differently as our brains are all wired differently. So if we ask for help or ask for something to be explained multiple times, we are not dumb, retarded or a sped. We are just as smart as all the other people out there it just sometimes takes more for us to succeed and complete the task we are given. I have found that Giant Tiger is very open to accommodations to make sure their employees can be as successful as everyone else and make sure they are comfortable at the task they are given so they can succeed and not feel left out. 

I am not sure if it is just me or anybody with FASD but I find when I arrive at work, I stress and overthink about it so much and I say I'm not smart or I am dumb and I put myself down about it and then my stomach cramps and I have to take like 3-4 trips to the washroom. I am also so scared to lose my job because yes I may dread it but I actually like the job, the work environment and everyone in it. They make me feel accepted and not different from other people; unlike school where I get put down and stepped on like I'm nothing and I am never going to be anything. Honestly, by now I should be used to it but  I don't believe anybody should have to dread work or school and or put themselves down about it because others don't accept them. I find if you have a good work environment like mine they will realize we are humans we all will make mistakes. They may need to explain something a few times or I will have piles of questions about a task, and realistically anybody can have lots of questions. We ALL have or had questions we have had to ask to make a task or a job clear to us, each of us has our own talent or skill that can make things easy or hard, we are individuals.

People with FASD may get heated or excited easily and or overthink a task before doing it and then we get really moody, and we may not be able to finish a task because it seems too hard; don't sweat it been there and done that. I find I will walk to the back warehouse to get a breather and ask my manager or supervisor what I can do to make this task a lot easier and simpler for me so I can complete it easily. This without any broken items or ending up having a hissy fit (the fit has not happened yet, let's hope it never does, I have been pretty good at controlling this.. so far). 

My manager, supervisors and coworkers are open to help anytime and they are very respectful and honest which helps build healthy work relationships and a healthy work environment where there is GOOD communication in the workplace. I am very happy to be an employee in this work environment even though sometimes it may be hard. Yet I just try and try till I get the hang of it. If I am honest I am getting used to going and doing my job as it seems easier and easier so I don't have to dwell on failing and the day goes by faster as I have more tasks to do. I now feel successful by the end of the night and have a good nights rest at home as I feel that have accomplished something that I can feel good about myself. So a special thanks to the folks at Giant Tiger, Prescott for taking the risk to hire someone with a disability like FASD, and accepting me as I am with my strengths and weaknesses.

Comments

  1. Am very proud of you girl for how far you have come in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mom (To all the adoptive moms dealing with family and FASD)

FASD, school and mental health, the need for a Federal or Provincial bill to change things.

Sorry, here I go again, it has been too long.