Reflections on my trip to Seattle, Washington, USA {9th International Fetal Achol Spectrum Disorder Conference}

I recently got to experience what it is like to attend the 9th International Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Conference in Seattle, Washington, USA. A lot of people are fixated on the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, the monorail, or even their passion for Starbucks coffee. But, do you know what I was fixated on? The amount of poverty and homeless in that city, it was very heartbreaking to see in person. I have always known Seattle as a rich and wealthy city as I have always heard about it that way on social media or even television. When you see information about Seattle it is about the bright lights, the tourist attractions, and fancy restaurants but you never see the poor people portrayed. You would think in a city like that they would have more support or resources for these situations.  But if you take a look at FASD and the available help and resources there is very few if any depending on what you need.  There are often if not minimal to no resources available and it is ridiculous... this unless you have the money or benefits to cover the costs of private services. I look at those poor people living on the street and wonder how easy would it be for me or any of my friends to end up there, and I have friends who have lived on the streets. It is funny how our governments can hand out billions to large corporations but the most vulnerable people in our society are left impoverished even if they receive support. That many people are working minimum wage jobs and are the working poor but the companies they work for year after year have record breaking profits. Just listen to those large companies squawk when it is suggested that the minimum wage be raised so people can try to survive with some dignity. 

My brother and I are adopted for a reason, we both know what it is to be hungry and poor and not knowing if you are going to be able to eat that night or have to leave your home cause the rent wasn't paid. My mom and dad now have told me about when they were first married and my dad had a really good paying factory job. They bought a home renovated it and paid for it in under 10 years. They would see a  new car they liked and pay for it in cash. They even traveled all over the USA and Canada with their show dogs. Then one day the company my dad worked for announced they were getting rid of 500 people. Entire families were wiped out and some people even committed suicide cause there were no jobs that paid like that anymore, so many factories had closed. Imagine one day you are living the high life and the next day your unemployed and soon could loose your home and end up on the streets.

For those of us with disabilities it is not much different, often ignored by the education system that often does not know how to adapt to our individual needs. This goes far beyond the education system to employers and society as well adapting to people like myself with disabilities that we can be productive members of society. I first need an education to be able to work, yet I see how so many kids with problems are mistreated in school and how can they thrive and learn. How many times can you hear your horrible, stupid, worthless and will not amount to anything before you start to believe it? I wonder what stories those people living on the street or in poverty in Seattle would tell if they were ask. As a society we really need to start looking at what we have and start thinking of those who are less fortunate. 

I can tell you I do not want hand outs,  I want to work, I want to have a job and a career. I want a family and a home but right now that looks pretty tough the way things are. Those of us with disabilities want to be able to live our best lives possible but with the current systems in place that is going to be damn difficult. So next time you drive past a homeless person you may want to give them a few bucks, some day that could be you. Then next time you see a person with a disability struggling in the check out line to count their change, or they struggle in class to learn, or have trouble finding the words they want to say or so much more be kind to that person. My brother and I were born with a brain injury FASD because our  birth mother drank alcohol while pregnant with us. Yet all it takes is an unexpected accident, a stroke or many things and you to could be struggling in life with a disability in a world that so often doesn't seem to care. One event and our lives can change life so dramatically. As a society we should embrace and protect our most vulnerable citizens. So think about that, look deep in your heart and ask how would you want to be treated if you were homeless or had a disability. Be kind, give hugs, not criticism, imagine a world like that.

Thanks again for dropping by.

Shelby

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry, here I go again, it has been too long.

Being Teased About Your Past (FASD, PTSD, High School Edition)

Why write about PTSD and FASD