How High School Went After Years Wasted

 So, after summer break when grade 8 was done I went into grade 9, a little bit nervous as the environment was new and I didn't know if I was ready for high school, so many professionals said I was not ready and wanted to put me in a special needs school. I had wasted 5 years being scared running the halls, hiding in coats, tearing apart class rooms etc. It's funny how I don't remember hiding in coats but I've been told I had done that on many occasions. Strange but before I ran the halls I had been a good student I won't say I didn't need extra help, I did, I was really far behind my class when I was adopted. People seemed to take my silliness and impulsiveness in stride and helped me to become a good student. That all stopped when my brothers abuse in school became too much for me to handle and watch it day after day, eventually I could not take it anymore. 

As I walked into my high school (St. Mary's Catholic High School) I felt welcome and I'll tell you I had two of the very best teachers for Grade 9 and I will never forget them, they were Mr. Patrick Devaney and Mr. Mark Reilly.  They treated me the best, they treated me better than a lot of teachers I've had, elementary school often sucked, I had a couple of good teachers but others just never understood me. The teachers I had at St Mary's this year changed my view of the school, rather than it being torture to endure, I started to enjoy school again. I actually spoke up for myself in grade 9 got the supports I needed my school team for this year is the best. I am lucky I found my voice and have been able to speak up for myself. I hope nothing changes in grade 10 if anything changes I want more people to understand me that's all I want to change at my school and other schools. If I was honest we should have awareness days for every single disability. Yeah I know there is a mental health day but hardly anybody knows what FASD or developmental trauma is as a disability what they are or how it is pronounced. Much less that mental health will be a struggle for many of us with these conditions all our life. Even if poor mental health is caused a lot just because people do not understand how to help. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mom (To all the adoptive moms dealing with family and FASD)

FASD, school and mental health, the need for a Federal or Provincial bill to change things.

Sorry, here I go again, it has been too long.